Saturday, April 7, 2012

H.R. 4269, Interstate Legal Transportation of Firearms

First Time for Everything

I finally wrote  a politician about a issue I support. I used the NRA Institute for Legislative Action's Write Your Reps tool to send my U.S. Congress representative my request for her to support House Bill H.R. 4269. The text of the bill can be found using a search tool on the House of Representatives website by clicking on the "Bills & Reports" tab under "Legislative Activity" using the term "H.R.4269" (no spaces).


I'm not a big fan of passing more laws. I really don't want any more laws. Congress should be forces to put a sunset provision in just about every law that it passes - and that should go for the state legislatures, too.

But this law is designed to protect an individual right from the states. Since we already have a Federal law protecting interstate transportation of firearms, it seems ridiculous that we need a new law to instruct the states on how to not violate the rights enumerated in a previous law. But we do.

My message to my representative:
Please support H.R. 4269, introduced by U.S. Reps. Morgan Griffith
(R-Va.), Ted Poe (R-Texas) and Bill Owens (D-N.Y.).

This has been a concern for me for quite some time. I often travel to the
northeast. It appears that New York State under no circumstances honors
the current law when it comes to handguns. The repeated harassment of
travelers in NY and NJ airports is unacceptable.

Also, the original law was weak. As interpreted in Federal courts, it
allowed local law enforcement to ARREST a traveler transporting firearms
BEFORE THE TRAVELER COULD EVEN "USE" THE RIGHT to transport firearms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and ratings.

Clicky.com

Real Time Web Analytics