Monday, August 6, 2012

Free-Market Charity?

A realization hit me like a bolt of lightning after reading this quote by Murray Rothbard:
It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the costs.
I thought of my own level of charity. Recently, I could only give items I no longer want and my volunteer time. If I could put a dollar figure on those things (which I really should be able to), they would be quite valuable compared to my current income.

And then I thought about my conversation with my employer today. She told me that she wished she could afford to pay me what I'm worth. Then isn't my employment - at least a portion of it - a type of charity:  a gift to a small business?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and ratings.

Clicky.com

Real Time Web Analytics