Monday, December 13, 2021

Kel-Tec's Chassis-System Pistol

Who knew that Kel-Tec has a pistol in it's line up that uses a serialized chassis instead of a serialized frame? Well, I did, sort of.

Credit: KelTecWeapons.com

A few years ago, I saw that the PF-9's serial number was on the back of the gun, and it appeared not to be on the polymer grip frame. So, I looked a little further, and walla! - I found nothing. So the thought of being able to easily, and without a transfer "tax" slipped from my mind.
credit: UBuy.gr

Last week, my wife said once again that she wants to get her CCW and a small pistol. .380 would be most practical size wise, but 9 mm is always more available. So I've been looking at all kinds of guns, and of course I drifted back to the absolutely lightest pistol (not revolver) - not the smallest one (that might be the Kahr CM9/PM9) - the Kel-Tec PF-9.

Then I started looking for recent, good video  reviews of and comparisons with the PF-9. There aren't many. Then I stumbled on the a recent video about the P11 - the original double stack micro 9. Which made me check Kel-Tec's sight for dimension info, and naturally to their "so long" video for the P11. Which is on You Tube, on Kel-Tec's channel. So I started scrolled and stumbled on this, their video for switching the grim frame of the PF-9.

Wait a cotton picking minute! That's a chassis system, but ...

If you watch the video, then you realize that taking the gun apart and putting it back together could be a comedy of errors. Stuff can fall off the chassis, and there is a distinct possibility that you will assemble a nonfunctioning pistol - if you're not careful. 

And what is the advantage for you to switch grip frames with the PF-9?: (1) Change colors. (2) replace a broken grip frame without having to retransfer your firearm

So for the earliest chassis-system pistol that I know of, Kel-Tec has done a piss-poor job of capitalizing on it. Could they already have done a slim double-stack modern micro 9?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and ratings.

Clicky.com

Real Time Web Analytics