Thursday, March 6, 2014

What You Might Want To Know Before Buying Your (First) Gun, Part 1

Food for thought over at Misfires and Light Strikes blog. Exurban Kevin listed 10 things I wish someone had told me about guns.  I pretty much agree with most of his points, but with caveats.
1. Buying the gun is the cheap part. Feeding it is the expensive part.
But it didn't matter when I was single and had cash to burn.
2. Accessory availability matters. I love my CZ’s, but there’s just not the range of add-ons for it as there is for a Glock or M&P.
I wish I would have thought about this when I was actually planning to buy one of my guns, instead of when I was just reading gun-magazine articles and fawning over those glossy photos. Even though the P95 had been made for almost two decades, I did not realize that it did not attract massive accessorizing and customizing like Glocks and 1911s.
3. It’s okay to take a LOT of time before buying a gun.
Yeah, I have spent exorbitant amounts of time trying to decide what gun to get. Unfortunately, you really - if you're lucky- you have 80% of the information to make your monumental decision. But in the end, you have just bought a tool that has been designed to fit the needs and bodies of an average of some people. The next step is learning how to use, adapt to, and take care of the tool. The 1000-round trigger job, as described on Bob Mayne's Handgun World Podcast, goes a long way towards those ends (substitute dry-fire practice to cut ammo costs).

 To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and ratings.

Clicky.com

Real Time Web Analytics