Sunday, September 16, 2018

Camper Gun (Intro)

The truck gun revisited and modified and further adapted.

I want a gun to keep in a pop-up camper that we haven't actually purchased yet. This is like decorating a house before you've signed the loan - or picked it. Then again, everyone thinks about how their current furniture will fit in a new house and what they will need to fill out the new house. And if you always wanted a new, perfect couch, then why not make sure you have a place for it.
Well, on to my perfect couch camper gun.

First, my Criteria, which might expand or contract,during this process: (1) Easy to stow, (2) Easy to use, (3) Effective, and (4) Inexpensive.

Criteria
  1. Easy to stow: I want something that I can safely stow. Something relatively compact that I can fit in a cabinet or other available space preferable in a locking box, case, or tethered.
  2. Easy to use: Since it will be stowed like a fire extinguisher, I don't anticipate extensive practice. Also, I want the entire family to be comfortable with its operation. 
  3. Effective: The caliber and capacity needs to be able to provide a good defense against unwanted two- and four-legged visitors.
  4. Inexpensive: It will be a gun that will sit idle most of the time, like a tacklebox or truck gun.
In short, the winning camper-gun candidate will need to be comforting but not burdensom and able to answer the call.

When I started this process, the most logical choice seemed to be a folding a takedown .22 LR rifle. I have become enamored of late with .22 LR, after shooting a nice target rifle - and because of ammo prices. So, lets start there - and specifically the single-shot rifles.

Credit: Cheaper Than Dirt

NEXT: Camper Gun (Part 1): Single-Shot Rifles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and ratings.

Clicky.com

Real Time Web Analytics